1. Studying for Archival Certification exam. Drank a beer and then dropped (too much) money on books (the beer softened the financial blow) for book order part one (it’s like being in college, except you don’t get student loans, instead you are simultaneous trying to pay the undergrad and grad loans back while becoming an employable professional, hah, oh life). I already have a handful of books from grad school and there are a few places around town where I can read the older ones, but nearby libraries don’t have the newer archival books – too expensive and specialized I guess?
2. Nothing makes me feel more feminist than insurance companies and the way they handle birth control in the U.S. I’ve had four different health insurance companies over the past three years (both PPO and HMO) and none of these companies will let me pick up more than one month’s worth of birth control at a time, even if the doctor’s prescription specifies 3 pack pick up at a time. Ridiculous. What am I going to do, OD on hormones? Give them out to teenage girls with disapproving parents? All it does is cause me extra hassle and trips to the pharmacy for the same exact number of pills I would get whether or not I picked them up every month or every three months.
My friend who recently returned from studying and living in Germany for two years told her German doctor that she would be without health insurance for a few months once she got back to the U.S. The doctor prescribed a year’s worth of birth control (like in the U.S.), and then my friend went to the pharmacy and picked up the year’s worth of birth control (not like in the U.S.). Why can’t it be that simple here?
3. Game of Thrones is over for another season, sigh. But True Blood is coming back next week, hooray!
4. I’ve decided to write a fictional horror western story. I have some ideas floating around, should be fun.
5. I’m going to Oklahoma and Texas in a few weeks for family time vacation. I can’t wait for these next weeks to go by.
6. I feel like I’m treading water at work, treading in a sea of newspaper clippings. I never thought I’d look forward to rehousing sheet music, but I sure am!
7. I’ve become addicted to a 2.5 mile loop at Griffith Park and the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook stairs by Culver City
8. Visited Amir’s Garden in Griffith Park last weekend. It was lovely! Sadly I hiked up without a camera.
This is the only recent picture I’ve taken: